• Join Home Gardening Forum

Figs are coming pretty fast now...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
just like last year. At that time we had to do something with them & hit on the idea of trying to make honey/fig ice cream. It was so good (REALLY GOOD), that we are going to make it again this year. I made the base yesterday & will finish tonight so it can set up in the freezer overnight. Here's the pics from last year.

Honey_Fig_Ice_Cream_Base.jpg

Fig_Ice_Cream_2.jpg

Fig_Ice_Cream_3.jpg

Fig_Ice_Cream_4.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Had more than enough figs, so this morning I tried a recipe that a good friend turned us on to... Black Cherry & Fig Preserves. Got 4 - 8 oz. jars without even breaking a sweat.

Doug, I will leave it to you to post the recipe as it is yours.

Black_Cherry_Fig_Preserves.jpg

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
WR, you just took me back to my early childhood when I would help my Grandparents mix up what they called (figcream ice cream) in their homemade ice cream maker!! Thank you!

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I bought the wife an ice cream maker last year and the little stinker has yet to use it!

E

ErnieCopp

I have a couple of black mission fig trees, semi dried the ones i had last year, not dry enough for pantry storage, so kept in fridge, delicious on cereal. Have had a few so far but a big crop coming.
Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Mr. Ranch, will you share your fig ice cream recipe? My mouth is watering after looking at your pictures.

Honey/Fig Ice Cream

6 cups heavy cream, well chilled
3 cups whole milk, well chilled
2 cups sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup honey
4 cups mashed or pureed ripe figs (I puree mine after simmering for them the day before)

Combine all ingredients, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.

At this point you can freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.

Yields about 5 quarts

Note: Most ice cream makers produce soft-serve ice cream which you can firm up, if desired, by placing it in your refrigerator's freezer in an airtight container for 4 - 12 hours.

Enjoy!!!

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Thank You Sir! This is the first ice cream recipe I have seen that does not use eggs and doesn't have to be cooked.