• Join Home Gardening Forum

feeling the need to arm myself... looters

M

Mr_Yan

There was a rabbit in my garden a few hours ago. How will a 0.177 cal pellet rifle handle a eastern cottontail rabbit? Head shot only from less than 50 feet?

Probably should just build a big beautiful wall - or picket fence with 2x3 wire mesh trenched into the ground.

M

Mr_Yan

Not as fun but better in the long run - I just ordered the galvanized mesh, step in posts, and wire to fence this off. I'll use the step in posts first then frame in the fence with wood in a few weeks as next weekend is spoken for already.

It would take a long time outside with the air rifle to put a sufficient dent in the rabbit population for me to feel safe about my garden.

M

Mr_Yan

Well, the finishing detail work took longer than I thought. Spent about half the day and am still not quite done with the main fence.

I ran out of the semi-transparent deck sealer I was using and ACE discontinued it in the last month so I bought solid to finish the top rail. I am not a big fan of it but it will do for now. Next year I will have to coat the whole thing again as the treated posts will have dried out by then and will accept a sealer.

This is working on it around 7:30 this morning. The wide side of a 2x4 rail makes a great place for coffee or tools to be set down.

I am trenching in the galvanized mesh and stapling it to the wooden frame. The mesh is roughly 3 inches deep, plus or minus as the ground isn't smooth.

This is where I ran out of steam and was called in for dinner. The last few feet of mesh needs to be shot into the frame and a few pocket screws need to be driven.

It is hard to see but I have a blueberry bush in the center of each of the front (left side of photo) post sections and 2' inside of the fence edge.

I need to wire in some mesh or something to seal off the gate.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Well, the finishing detail work took longer than I thought. Spent about half the day and am still not quite done with the main fence.

I ran out of the semi-transparent deck sealer I was using and ACE discontinued it in the last month so I bought solid to finish the top rail. I am not a big fan of it but it will do for now. Next year I will have to coat the whole thing again as the treated posts will have dried out by then and will accept a sealer.

This is working on it around 7:30 this morning. The wide side of a 2x4 rail makes a great place for coffee or tools to be set down.

I am trenching in the galvanized mesh and stapling it to the wooden frame. The mesh is roughly 3 inches deep, plus or minus as the ground isn't smooth.

This is where I ran out of steam and was called in for dinner. The last few feet of mesh needs to be shot into the frame and a few pocket screws need to be driven.

It is hard to see but I have a blueberry bush in the center of each of the front (left side of photo) post sections and 2' inside of the fence edge.

I need to wire in some mesh or something to seal off the gate.

Very nice work there Mr. Yan !!

I'm actually looking at ordering some blue berries ( Snow Chaser" )

M

Mr_Yan

Thanks @RLwhaler

These are Elliot blueberries that I bought from a local farmer. I guess they propigate more bushes then they expect to meed to replace each year and sell the off the extra thru Craigslist or word of mouth. There are a LOT of blueberry farms within 20 miles of here.

From Stark Brothers:
Big and flavorful. This late-season variety will give you ½” berries that are firm, easy-to-pick and perfect for fresh eating or cooking. Lovely pink-tinged flowers will grace your landscape each spring. Provides seasonal interest with its attractive bright burgundy stems. Blooms late to avoid late spring frosts. Introduced in 1973. Cold-hardy. Ripens in August. Self-pollinating.

Zones 4 thru 7. No mention on either site I looked at about the chill hours required, but I look at northern sources and we don't worry about that - just how cold hardy it is

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Thanks @RLwhaler

These are Elliot blueberries that I bought from a local farmer. I guess they propigate more bushes then they expect to meed to replace each year and sell the off the extra thru Craigslist or word of mouth. There are a LOT of blueberry farms within 20 miles of here.

From Stark Brothers:

Zones 4 thru 7. No mention on either site I looked at about the chill hours required, but I look at northern sources and we don't worry about that - just how cold hardy it is

Nice !!! My oldest daughter loves blue berries. I've been researching for the last few weeks. Hopefully we will do well. Keep us updated will ya? Would love to see how your Elliot turns out.

M

Mr_Yan

Keep us updated will ya? Would love to see how your Elliot turns out.

Each bush has a handful of berries on it now but I won't get much. I know I should rip these off now so the plant has the energy but...

Today we had some of my kid's friends over - the kids were in preschool together until Covid-We're-All-Gonna-Die stupidity. Anyway, we learned the family owns, runs, and lives on one of the blueberry farms here.

I think some Florida universities made a good southern variety of high bush blueberry. I was watching this vid a while ago about a commercial farmer in CA and he lists off several cultivars.

M

Monotropa

Looks great!

Just wanted to say, in my experience it is better to lay the screen under ground in an "L" shape. Making that bottom part extend 12-18" away from the fence line. Animals tend to go right next to the wall/fence and dig straight down and then in. A determined critter will keep digging until they can get in eventually. But if you lay the screen out and away from the fence line, they just run into screen while digging and will eventually give up. They do not even think that if they were to start their hole "away" from the fence they could get past the screen barrier.

Not sure if I explained that well enough to make sense without the use of pictures?