• Join Home Gardening Forum

Fathersday project

C

crazyplantguy

For Fathersday my girls got me a little gift card to my local nursery. So I went and picked out a few ceramic dishes normally placed under a pot to catch excess water. Also some flowers. The moss I have been growing for years. It was time i did something with it. So I had a vision. And here it is. Turned out 99%just as I wanted it. The base is a cream i want to say 14 inch dish. The moss I had in a 12 inch hanging pot filled from edge to edge. I cut about a 6 inch circle from the center. Then made one slice through so i could open it like the letter C. I placed that in the base opening it to fit to the edges of the dish which left about a 5 inch gap that I used a majority of the circle that I cut out to fill. After I was happy with how the moss was looking I placed two broken pieces of stone floor tile in the center. This I used to raise the smaller of the two dishes. So that I could keep the base tray full of water for the moss without flooding the smaller tray and killing the plant s in it. After placing the smaller dish on top of the tiles I filled in any gap in the moss I had with leftover moss.

Now onto the smaller dishthis was simple I just plopped the flowers in the center spreading the soil from the container out. I learned from making this mistake befor. If i left it like this just soil in the dish that the first rain would have played havoc tossing soil everywhere. Since the soil mound was higher than the lip of the dish. Which also would have made the soil run into and ruin the moss. So i fixed this by placing rings of stones around the base of the soil and continued all the way up to the base of the flowers topping it off with very small crushed stones.

My thinking for this was as rain fell the stones would take the full force of the droplets. Most off the rain would splash off the stones and what was left would gently run down the stones amd water the soil and any excess water would overflow the dish into the lower dish with the moss and any excess into the moss dish would overflow out of the larger dish into the garden or grass or wherever I decide to finally place this thing. (Location want party of my vision so ill have to figure that out) when the flower grow in more they will hide the stones I will keep it pruned back to a small ball of flowers the size of the smaller dish. This picture was taken befor I trimmed all the moss at the edge of the dish to give it a very clean look.

P.S it survived is first rain.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

M

Mr_Yan

Around here we've been making stepping stones (most years). I now have 6 or so stepping stones with hand or foot prints and initials and years.

C

crazyplantguy

Around here we've been making stepping stones (most years). I now have 6 or so stepping stones with hand or foot prints and initials and years.
I would love to see pictures of that.

W

Wormee

For Fathersday my girls got me a little gift card to my local nursery. So I went and picked out a few ceramic dishes normally placed under a pot to catch excess water. Also some flowers. The moss I have been growing for years. It was time i did something with it. So I had a vision. And here it is. Turned out 99%just as I wanted it. The base is a cream i want to say 14 inch dish. The moss I had in a 12 inch hanging pot filled from edge to edge. I cut about a 6 inch circle from the center. Then made one slice through so i could open it like the letter C. I placed that in the base opening it to fit to the edges of the dish which left about a 5 inch gap that I used a majority of the circle that I cut out to fill. After I was happy with how the moss was looking I placed two broken pieces of stone floor tile in the center. This I used to raise the smaller of the two dishes. So that I could keep the base tray full of water for the moss without flooding the smaller tray and killing the plant s in it. After placing the smaller dish on top of the tiles I filled in any gap in the moss I had with leftover moss.

Now onto the smaller dishthis was simple I just plopped the flowers in the center spreading the soil from the container out. I learned from making this mistake befor. If i left it like this just soil in the dish that the first rain would have played havoc tossing soil everywhere. Since the soil mound was higher than the lip of the dish. Which also would have made the soil run into and ruin the moss. So i fixed this by placing rings of stones around the base of the soil and continued all the way up to the base of the flowers topping it off with very small crushed stones.

My thinking for this was as rain fell the stones would take the full force of the droplets. Most off the rain would splash off the stones and what was left would gently run down the stones amd water the soil and any excess water would overflow the dish into the lower dish with the moss and any excess into the moss dish would overflow out of the larger dish into the garden or grass or wherever I decide to finally place this thing. (Location want party of my vision so ill have to figure that out) when the flower grow in more they will hide the stones I will keep it pruned back to a small ball of flowers the size of the smaller dish. This picture was taken befor I trimmed all the moss at the edge of the dish to give it a very clean look.

P.S it survived is first rain.

That's a nice one. Any updates about it so far?