Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Elements functions

Boron (B) - Stimulates cell division, flower formation and pollination

Calcium (Ca)
- Raises soil pH; promotes root hair formation and early growth

Chlorine (Cl)
- Needed for photosynthesis; stimulates root growth and aids water circulation in plants

Cobalt (Co)
- Improves growth, water circulation, and photosynthesis

Copper (Cu)
- Stimulates stem development and pigment formation

Iron (Fe) -
Stimulates the formation of chlorophyll and helps oxidize sugar for energy; also necessary for legume nitrogen fixation. It regulates the respiration of the plant's cells.

Magnesium (Mg)
- Aids in chlorophyll formation and energy metabolism; it increases oil production in flax and soy beans; helps regulate uptake of other elements. It also promotes healthy, disease-resistant plants. It is generally available in acidic soils.

Manganese (Mn)
- Necessary for the formation of chlorophyll

Molybdenum (Mo)
- Needed for nitrogen fixation and nitrogen use in the plant; stimulates plant growth and vigor much like nitrogen

Nitrogen (N)
- Necessary for chlorophyll and genetic material (DNA & RNA) formation; stimulates green, leafy growth

Phosphorous (P)
- Necessary for genetic material (DNA & RNA) formation; stimulates fruit, flower and root production, and early season growth; increases disease resistance

Potassium (K)
- Associated with movement of water, nutrients, and carbohydrates in plant tissue. Stimulates early growth. Helps in the building of protein, photosynthesis, fruit quality and reduction of diseases.

Silicon (Si)
- Increases number of seeds; strengthens cell walls of plants

Sodium (Na)
- Increases resistance to drought; increases sugar content in some crops

Sulfur (S)
- Aids in formation of certain oil compounds that give specific odors to some plants such as onions, garlic, mustard, etc; increases oil production in flax and soy beans

Zinc (Z)
- Stimulates stem growth and flower bud formation

M

Melissa

One very nice way to get some minerals into the soil is egg shells. They have Calcium, barium, copper, iron, strontium, and zinc. One of the ways I was taught was to freeze the shells in a resealable bag or container. Add shells every time you have eggs. When you are ready you can crush them into dust. One way is a food processer. I don't own one of those, so use a rolling pin on the bag. Once I have the shells broken down I add it to my containers when I change soils, or add soil.

C

Canesisters

I keep hearing how wonderful they are for the soil but I always give them back to my chickens (crushed of course & sprinkled over oyster shell).
Do you think it would make enough of a difference in the garden for me to stop giving them shells and offer oystershell only?

N

Northernfox

You can get great wide spectrum trace mineral from Azomite or in Canada Gia Green Glacial Rock Dust It is a good way to start with your would and then of course making your own compost brings a lot back into your soil.

:)

M

Melissa

I have been told that the oyster shells are enough for the chickens, and you do not run the risk of them starting to eat their own eggs. Growing up we had the issue, one or two of the chickens would start eating the eggs shortly after they were laid. We only had that issue when we gave them back shells. Now for the life of me I can not recall how crushed up they were. For all I know one of us kids just threw the shells in and they made the connection. :)

M

majorcatfish

mike that list of elements you posted is great..
with the poor soil that we have here<carolina clay> have been using greensand for years and it sure has improved the gardens output and quality.
it has everyone of those elements you listed...