Dewberry Pie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b

Dewberry Pie

1 10" unbaked pie shell (We prefer to make our own)
2 Cups dewberries
3/4 Cup sugar (divided)
2 Eggs, well beaten
2 Heaping tablespoons flour
1/2 Cup evaporated milk

Crumb Mixture

4 Tablespoons butter
8 Tablespoons sugar
8 Tablespoons flour

Pour dewberries into the pie shell & sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over the berries.

For the custard, mix the eggs, the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, flour & the evaporated milk together. Pour this
mixture over the berries.

Top with the crumb mixture

Bake at 325 degrees fir about 1 hour or until the crumb mixture is brown. If the crust gets too brown, cover the edges with foil.

Enjoy!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Mrs. Ranch made another one today!!! With all the rain lately it was an excellent year for them, just be careful as there are a lot of snakes too.

S

Susan

Before reading this recipe I had never heard of dewberries before. After googling it they seem to be very similar to blackberries which we do have in our area. I was wondering if dewberries and blackberries taste the same. That pie does look some good. I have never had blackberries in a pie. I usually just eat them freshly picked. I haven't really made anything with them.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Susan, they are very similar, although there are subtle differences between dewberry & blackberry plants. The southern dewberry (Rubus trivalis) has a low, vine-like growth habit & rarely reaches heights greater than 2 feet . The blackberry (Rubus fruticosus) has a very upright growth pattern & commonly reaches 3' to 6' in height. In addition, dewberry stems commonly have slender thorns with red hairs, while blackberry stems have hard, tough thorns & no hairs.

I personally prefer the taste/texture of dewberries over blackberries, there is just something about them...

Rockytop

Planting Zone
8B

Dewberry Pie

1 10" unbaked pie shell (We prefer to make our own)
2 Cups dewberries
3/4 Cup sugar (divided)
2 Eggs, well beaten
2 Heaping tablespoons flour
1/2 Cup evaporated milk

Crumb Mixture

4 Tablespoons butter
8 Tablespoons sugar
8 Tablespoons flour

Pour dewberries into the pie shell & sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over the berries.

For the custard, mix the eggs, the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, flour & the evaporated milk together. Pour this
mixture over the berries.

Top with the crumb mixture

Bake at 325 degrees fir about 1 hour or until the crumb mixture is brown. If the crust gets too brown, cover the edges with foil.

Enjoy!!!

Oh my #$%^&....