• Join Home Gardening Forum

Cucumber seedlings

B

Bretterer

I hope to receive quite a bit of help. This is my third year attempting a home garden. I've had some success with a lot, probably too much, effort. I'm in zone 8a. I have some cucumber seedlings that I need advice on right now. I had them on a heat mat for two days and they sprouted. I removed them from the mat and now have them in the living room window, but I feel my stems are too long on some of them, two inches. No true leaves yet. Are they too leggy? They get about 5/6 direct sun through a window with a screen. The leaves on two of them seem to be curling under, slightly, lengthwise.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 6

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
You probably need more light.

Exactly where are you located??? I ask because I'm in Central Texas (8b) & have always direct sown them here.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
As Ranch stated, it's best to direct seed cucumbers. The good news is, you still have plenty of time to do that. I'd sooner direct seed your bed rather than putting those seedlings through transplant shock.

B

Bretterer

You probably need more light.

Exactly where are you located??? I ask because I'm in Central Texas (8b) & have always direct sown them here.
I am two hours west of Savannah, GA. This is my first year starting seeds here. I grow in containers because the soil is so damp where I am. Everything seems to rot in our area without a highly built up above ground garden and I haven't figured out the best spot in our yard to build a stationary garden box yet.
As Ranch stated, it's best to direct seed cucumbers. The good news is, you still have plenty of time to do that. I'd sooner direct seed your bed rather than putting those seedlings through transplant shock.

Okay. Direct sowing is better for cucumbers? I could make my pots this weekend and put some in. The temp is 50/60 degrees at night. That won't keep them from germinating will it?

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
It's been my experience that direct seeding is best for any plant. But, some plants like tomatoes and peppers are too much trouble to direct seed. Some of the best tomato producers I've ever grown were 'volunteers'. They sprouted from seed from the prior crop. Timing is also a consideration when deciding what to germinate early.

Cucumbers germinate and grow quickly. So, direct seeding is the preferred method. I would wait a few weeks for the temps to warm a bit. And if you can, make some rows or mounds to seed in. This will help keep their feet dry. Planting in the soil vs a pot will help production a bunch. Add some 10-20-10 fertlizer after they get the first leaves and watch them grow.

B

Bretterer

It's been my experience that direct seeding is best for any plant. But, some plants like tomatoes and peppers are too much trouble to direct seed. Some of the best tomato producers I've ever grown were 'volunteers'. They sprouted from seed from the prior crop. Timing is also a consideration when deciding what to germinate early.

Cucumbers germinate and grow quickly. So, direct seeding is the preferred method. I would wait a few weeks for the temps to warm a bit. And if you can, make some rows or mounds to seed in. This will help keep their feet dry. Planting in the soil vs a pot will help production a bunch. Add some 10-20-10 fertlizer after they get the first leaves and watch them grow.

Okay. Thank you

M

Mr_Yan

Even I can direct seed cucumbers up here in 4b though I will often just start them in a peat pot or newspaper pot. When they're to about the point of the ones you posted the pic of I place them in the ground. I may let pumpkins and winter squash get one leaf before I put them in the ground but that's a different plant.

and @Bretterer welcome to the forum. There's a bunch of people here that may be able to help reduce the amount of work you mentioned having to put into the previous two seasons.

B

Bretterer

Thank you all for the advice. I will try some direct sowing in addition to some of what I have in the peat pots. This is my first season this far south. It's also the first one I've had so many seeds sprout. Now to keep them alive and healthy. I'm pretty sure I've killed off my sprouts in the past by over watering.

E

ErnieCopp

I am not the gardeners Sam and Wolf are, but i also prefer direct seeding but do not do that without checking the soil temperature. For instance waiting until the soil is 55 degrees melons will grow betterr than if planted earlier in colder soil, Or so it does here.

Ernie