Cuccidati (Sicilian Christmas Cookies)

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cucidati.jpg

Cucidati is a traditional Sicilian Christmas cookie that is filled with a mixture of dates, figs, raisins & nuts. It is
kind of time consuming, but it is a labor of love.

Dough

4 Cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup sugar
1 Cup vegetable shortening
1 Egg
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 Cup milk

Filling
1 Cup dried figs
1 Cup dried dates, pitted
3/4 Cup raisins
1/2 Cup walnuts, chopped or ground in food processor
1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 Cup honey
1/4 Cup orange marmalade

Icing
2 Cups powdered sugar
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
4 Tablespoons milk (approximately)
Colored sprinkles (optional)

Directions For The Dough:
Sift flour, baking powder & salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the sugar & combine well.

Cut in the shortening with a fork or pastry blender & work the mixture until it looks like cornmeal.

In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, vanilla & milk.

Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture & mix with an electric mixer for a full 3 minutes. Dough will be soft.

Remove the dough from the mixer & knead by hand for 5 minutes.

Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces, wrap each with plastic wrap & refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Directions For The Filling:
Grind figs, dates & raisins in a food processor until coarse.

Place fig, date & raisin mixture in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients & mix well. Mixture will be thick. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 375° & line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Work with one piece of dough at a time, leaving the remaining pieces in the refrigerator until needed. On a floured surface roll the dough into a 12-inch square. Cut dough into 2x3-inch rectangles. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of filling into the middle of each rectangle. Carefully fold the short edges over to meet in the center & pinch to seal. Seal the sides as well.

Place each cookie, seam-side down, on a baking sheet, leaving 1-2 inches between each cookie.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cookies are golden in color.

Remove from oven & transfer to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before icing.

Directions For The Icing:
Mix together the powdered sugar, vanilla & enough milk to achieve the desired consistency. You'll want the icing to be thick enough not to be runny, but still easily spreadable. Ice the tops of the cookies & decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Let the icing set completely before storing in an airtight container.

Enjoy!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
My God, they certainly are!!! Got 4 dozen out of that batch.

Next week I'm be making the 7-layer cookies, which are absolutely sinful (I haven't made them in years). I had to order the 'almond paste' because I can't it around here, heck... nobody even knew what it is, LOL!!!

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Mmm cuccidatis, I've had these before and they are rather delicious.

M

Mr_Yan

Can I still make these even if Christmas is almost a year away?

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
We are going to take a " leap" this coming Christmas and try to make this. Thank you, Ranch.

God..I need to not look at the Recipe sections on an empty stomach .