• Join Home Gardening Forum

Container Heaven!!

T

the1honeycomb

I love container gardening, most of my big crops are in raised beds and them i have several things in bags and pots. I plant all my regular potatoes in bags the harvest is so easy and i always gt at lease 5+ lbs. Pots for vining plants cucumbers, melons, and I tried beans in pots this year. I won't do that again. they like to be uniformly moist and mine got a little dried out! but harvested enough for several meals.
I joined a group that shared bean seeds, and hope that I have plenty to return the share. first Black beans!

hope you like the photos!!

M

Melissa

Potatoes in bags! how many per bag? what a cool idea. I love my containers as well. I have some really neat ones that can sit on the railings of the deck. One of the pots is actually holding a bird bath right now. I wish I had the room for more, but 5'x9' is not a lot of space, especially since I love to grill. :)

T

the1honeycomb

Looking good. What do you have in the bags to the left?
all the bags are potatoes!! I recycle potatoes with eyes and plant them as they come to me. I keep growing the potatoes all year long taking them in the basement in the winter. I carry the bags out to the porch on warm days and they seem to stay very happy I only plant one or two eyes per bag and get a 5-+ lb harvest from them I always have new and fresh potatoes!!!

Melissa, If you take a common tomato cage the size of your bird bath and put your bird bath in the cage, you can use the pot for potatoes, and the the bird bath together!! or sweet potatoes and the viines would look lovely hanging down from your deck! I did something like that last year and yielded about 10 lbs of sweets! the leaves are eatable as a salad and the pot works triple duty!!

N

Northernfox

my goodness you are a gardener that if closer I would have to pick you brain! I love container gardening and love to compare notes!

I have potato bags as well. still trying to work on some of the techniques to increase yields! if I have figuring it out then Ill do a video. If I do Id love your input!

T

the1honeycomb

Happy to oblige!! I use compost, saw dust and sand, 3, 2, 1 in parts. I add epsom salts and coffee grounds. and then one or two eyes for potatoes. then the job is done sit back and wait till the plant dies. I water every so often but I don't hill them or add dirt, when the plant dies I dump the bag into a bucket, pull out my potatoes, add compost and moer saw dust or sand and start again! EASY!!!

C

Canesisters

Happy to oblige!! I use compost, saw dust and sand, 3, 2, 1 in parts. I add epsom salts and coffee grounds. and then one or two eyes for potatoes. then the job is done sit back and wait till the plant dies. I water every so often but I don't hill them or add dirt, when the plant dies I dump the bag into a bucket, pull out my potatoes, add compost and moer saw dust or sand and start again! EASY!!!

I am SOO doing this next year!

By the way, LOVE your garden!!! I'm not a fan of row after row after row of plants lined up like soldiers. Looks like a real nice place to spend an afternoon.

T

the1honeycomb

Thanks! I wouldn't plant potatoes any other way! love being able to harvest in just a few minutes and start again with out any fuss! works for sweet potatoes also!

T

the1honeycomb

Harvested 10 nice sized Russet potatoes from one bag today didn't think I would get that many! But Yummo!!!

T

the1honeycomb

What a good harvest!! 9 cucumbers, 10 lbs of potatoes, Lavender and mint for tea!! Love being able to grow my own

T

the1honeycomb

Let a friend come to the house and harvest some wonderful potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers. I love letting her see the wonderful harvests from my containers!!! I hope to help her to start a container garden on her patio deck in the spring!!

T

the1honeycomb

well the container gardening is almost done for the time being, except of course for the potatoes! dumping the dirt into the raised beds, and adding chicken manure and grass clippings. hae a great harvest didn't have to buy any tomatoes for canning this year! hoping to get some apples though! peach tree fizzled out before the harvest/ brown rot, and with the rain I couldn't spray. lost all the big beautiful peaches:ROFLMAO: oh well. back to the drawing board!! hope to get ahead of the brown rot next year!