• Join Home Gardening Forum

Chicken Chat!

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
I love my homegorwn eggs they are so much better thatn what ou get at the store! and fresher!! sometimes they are still warm when I use them!

I've heard they usually are when it's from the homestead!

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
My daughter WILL NOT eat store bought eggs. LOL. We all love the homegrown eggs better. They are a little smaller though. We have 2 bantam's at my parents and there eggs are really little.

Why are they smaller? Does it have to do with the "home grown" method instead of the mass production you get from the store?

Cody

Planting Zone
8a
I have no idea why they are smaller. I'm thinking they may get a little bigger as they get older.

E

ErnieCopp

Smaller, or younger, hens lay smaller eggs, and while the Banty eggs will always be smaller, as the pullets grow older, they will lay larger eggs. Plus, White Leghorn hens lay smaller eggs than the dual purpose Rhode Island Reds or other heavy breeds.

Ernie

T

the1honeycomb

I keep bantams because they are GREAT broody hens and they are attentive to their chicks till the chicks are as big as they are!! I also think they are very cute.
I wish I could figure out a way to post photos I have so many of my babies

E

ErnieCopp

I have not had chickens personally for over sixty years, but i enjoy reading the posts from those of you that do have them. My daughter has Buff Orpingtons as well as several Bantams, and I enjoy her talking about them as well as eating the nice fresh eggs from them. I still remember reading the big fancy catalogs showing the different breeds that would be mailed out in the Winter, back in the 1930's. No one i knew could afford the big fancy ones, but lots of people had a few they raised themselves.

Ernie

Cody

Planting Zone
8a
The one we named "crazy" has so much character. Yesterday I was working in the main backyard and Crazy was making all kinds of noise and pacing the fence line. I took a break and walked over and talked to her for maybe 5 minutes. After that she never made anymore noise. lol. I think she was upset that I was in the main yard instead of the garden. She is so funny!

She is no longer scared of my mini daschund either. They had a stand off at the fence yesterday until my dog finally gave up. lol.

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
The one we named "crazy" has so much character. Yesterday I was working in the main backyard and Crazy was making all kinds of noise and pacing the fence line. I took a break and walked over and talked to her for maybe 5 minutes. After that she never made anymore noise. lol. I think she was upset that I was in the main yard instead of the garden. She is so funny!

She is no longer scared of my mini daschund either. They had a stand off at the fence yesterday until my dog finally gave up. lol.

Now that's funny!

T

the1honeycomb

all my chickens are afraid of my dog but my rooster is not and he will chase that dog every chance it gets. the dog afraid of the cat and the rooster! loves to watch the birds fly off

T

the1honeycomb

except when the rooster is not out then the poor hens are on their own