• Join Home Gardening Forum

Cheap Solution for Spraying wasps/hornets

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I don't know what has been going on the last few years, but the yellow jackets and red wasps have been crazy. Every time I turn around they are making a new nest somewhere. I usually use plain old soapy water to kill them which does a good job. Last year, I used my boy's water gun with the soapy water and it works really nice. It usually has enough power to knock down the nest too.

It's one of those "super soaker" types. Just mix a bucket of some really soapy water and enjoy.
water-sports-24-stream-machine-hydrobolic-water-gun-launcher-4.jpg

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Then run like heck right? ;)

Have you seen the wasp traps @w_r_ranch uses? I did some research on them after he posted about the traps and there was a lot of positive reviews about the traps.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Then run like heck right? ;)

Have you seen the wasp traps @w_r_ranch uses? I did some research on them after he posted about the traps and there was a lot of positive reviews about the traps.

As soon as the soapy water hits them, they are done. I haven't seen the traps, I'll do a search and try to find them. I need something preventative, they have been horrible.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Mike , those are the ones I have. I cleaned them yesterday & just put them back up this morning... They definitely help keep their numbers down.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Wolf, build one using an empty 2L soda bottle... Here is the 'ground version'

Take an empty two liter pop bottle or any plastic bottle that has a consistently even width along the sides.

Using a sharp knife, cut off the top of the soda bottle just below where the start of the bottle sides are at even width.

Fill the bottom of the bottle with bait about 2″ deep (simple sugar water is what I use... same as I feed the hummingbirds ).

Insert the top of the bottle upside down into the bottom of the bottle (remove the bottle cap first). The pieces should fit together nice and snug, but use duct tape along the top edge to secure the pieces together if you need to.

Set the trap out wherever you’ve seen them (in flower beds, close to a hedge, near the bird bath, etc.).

The wasps will fly into the trap to get at the bait, but have trouble finding their way out. They’ll eventually drown in the liquid bait.

This setup will also work for killing fruit flies as well.

Here is the 'hanging version' (requires 2 bottles):

Take an empty two liter pop bottle, tighten on the cap then cut off the bottom few inches of the bottle.

Taking a second two liter pop bottle, remove the bottle cap and cut off the top part of the bottle right underneath where the width is the same as the rest of the bottle.

For the bigger bottle piece, puncture two small holes just beneath the cap (one on either side of the bottle) & push a piece of heavy wire through the holes, the twist the ends together to form a loop hanger.

Seal the holes where the wire runs through with duct tape to prevent them crawling out & escaping.

Place the small piece up inside the bigger piece, securing together with duct tape around the edges.

Fill with bait about 2″ deep & hang.

M

Mr_Yan

Word of warning from stupid experience. Sucking up yellow jackets with a bag-less vacuum will NOT kill them.

S

Selma Richard

Wolf, build one using an empty 2L soda bottle... Here is the 'ground version'

Take an empty two liter pop bottle or any plastic bottle that has a consistently even width along the sides.

Using a sharp knife, cut off the top of the soda bottle just below where the start of the bottle sides are at even width.

Fill the bottom of the bottle with bait about 2″ deep (simple sugar water is what I use... same as I feed the hummingbirds ).

Insert the top of the bottle upside down into the bottom of the bottle (remove the bottle cap first). The pieces should fit together nice and snug, but use duct tape along the top edge to secure the pieces together if you need to.

Set the trap out wherever you’ve seen them (in flower beds, close to a hedge, near the bird bath, etc.).

The wasps will fly into the trap to get at the bait, but have trouble finding their way out. They’ll eventually drown in the liquid bait.

This setup will also work for killing fruit flies as well.

Here is the 'hanging version' (requires 2 bottles):

Take an empty two liter pop bottle, tighten on the cap then cut off the bottom few inches of the bottle.

Taking a second two liter pop bottle, remove the bottle cap and cut off the top part of the bottle right underneath where the width is the same as the rest of the bottle.

For the bigger bottle piece, puncture two small holes just beneath the cap (one on either side of the bottle) & push a piece of heavy wire through the holes, the twist the ends together to form a loop hanger.

Seal the holes where the wire runs through with duct tape to prevent them crawling out & escaping.

Place the small piece up inside the bigger piece, securing together with duct tape around the edges.

Fill with bait about 2″ deep & hang.

This looks like very nice method to me so as to get rid of wasps.

I

IcyBC

I had black hornet building their nest right off the side of my back door! I tried a bleach solution, but that didn't work and they kept coming back. Finally I have to get the wasps and hornets spray from the store to spray them down. Their nest was between the brick wall and the drain pipe! Odd place to build a nest, but somehow this year, they determined that it was their spot.

I will try the method in @w_r_ranch next year! I like that it is all natural and not toxic to my dog should he ever comes across it.