Buttermilk Biscuits

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Buttermilk_Biscuits .jpg

2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting the board)
1/4 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons butter (very cold)
1 Cup buttermilk

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, or in the bowl of a food processor.

Cut the butter into chunks & cut into the flour until it resembles course meal. If using a food processor, just pulse a few times until this consistency is achieved.

Add the buttermilk & mix JUST until combined. If it appears on the dry side, add a bit more buttermilk. It should be very wet.

Turn the dough out onto a floured board. Gently PAT (do NOT use a rolling pin) the dough out until it's about 1/2" thick. Fold the dough about 5 times, gently press the dough down to a 1 inch thick.

Use a round cutter to cut into rounds.

Place the biscuits on a cookie sheet. If you like soft sides, put them touching each other. If you like"crusty" sides, put them about 1 inch apart (Note: these will not rise as high as the biscuits put close together).

Bake for about 10-12 minutes. The biscuits will be a beautiful light golden brown on top & bottom. Do not over-bake.

Enjoy!!!

Note 1: The key to real biscuits is not in the ingredients, but in the handling of the dough. The dough must be handled as little as possible or you will have tough biscuits. I have found that a food processor produces superior biscuits, because the ingredients stay colder & there's less chance of overmixing.

Note 2: You can make these biscuits, cut them, put them on cookie sheets & freeze them for up to a month. When you want fresh biscuits, simply place them frozen on the cookie sheet & bake at 450°F for about 20 minutes.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, do you pour the buttermilk into the food processor after the butter is cut into the flour or do you dump the flour and butter mixture into a bowl and then add the buttermilk and mix?

M

Mr_Yan

You make the dough handling sound much like pie crust.

I've always thought pie crust may be a perfect place for low gluten flour. The lack of gluten protein *may* reduce the amount of doughyness and elasticity that you need for bread. I've never allowed gluten free flour in my house - it's an abomination to wheat.