• Join Home Gardening Forum

Bragging on my son.. :)

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
This is my 8 year old sons flower garden. He see's me and his mom in the yard all of the time and didn't want to feel left out so I put together a bed for him and let him loose on it. He put an avocado tree in the middle and went crazy with flowers from MAAS nursery all around it. He checks on it often and keeps it watered and fed. Makes me proud. resized.jpg

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
That looks better than most of my gardens - and he's only 8 years old. haha

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Good age to get started. He did an outstanding job of plant selection. The mixing of both color & textures really makes his flower garden 'pop'!!!

I commend you for encouraging him!!!

S

Slowngreen

That looks great! I dig the box too, the corner peices give it some flare too. Those solar ball lights are so sweet! My mom has TONS of them in her garden.

M

MB3

My kids would love to have their own garden, too. I try to let them get involved, tho I am pretty protective of my plant babies :p Maybe not as much as my actual kids, but protective.

Anyhow, that looks great, neater than my crowded garden.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
We were the same way so I built him his own separate one. Now I'm jealous because his look better than mine! Lol. Hopefully the avocado in the middle made it through the cold spells. It was covered but it sure looks sickly.

M

MB3

my avocado in a large pot inside is struggling. it hates the cold drafty place I live.

S

Susan

Wonderful age to get started and he did an awesome job. His garden looks fantastic. Mom and Dad must have taught him well. I am very impressed with the variety and colors.

T

Treeca86

Oh, wow. That is so fantastic! Maybe I should help my 8 year old son start one. He's Autistic, ADHD, ODD, has a Sensory Processing Disorder, and an Audio Processing Disorder. Might be good for him. Give him something to keep himself busy and entertained with. He loves watching me with my flower and herb garden. I can grow flowers and herbs all day long, but can't grow a vegetable to save my life! I've killed every tomato, bell pepper, onion, and potato I've planted. Maybe my son would do a better job at it. Haha.