• Join Home Gardening Forum

BOY, did I get blitzed or what.

T

Tom Bergstrand

Since my wife and I are just learning about gardening we seem to have learned quite a lesson. We planted Zucchini and I think they were a bit too close AND I failed to pay proper attention. We had a big bunch of aphids roost on the undersides of the leaves and wreak total havoc. By the time I noticed them it was a disaster. I tried soap and water with a sprayer but I later found out that one can't really get a good mix with hard water. Bottom line: We ripped them all out since they TOTALLY stopped producing. Lesson learned. Next time there will be proper spacing so I can see what's going on AND make SURE I see what's going on. Strangely enough the melons that butted right up to them suffered NO aphids. Don't know why but we're happy for something. Lesson LEARNED!

E

ErnieCopp

Tom,
Even single plants of Zucchini grow too much, too fast. I keep pruning off the lower leaves when the stems fall below horizontal. Not because of aphids so much, but because of powdery mildew as we can get humid spells here. As far as melons go, i had aphids on 2 kinds of melon vines but not on the other two kinds.

I have not figured out how to grow what Zucchini we want without growing way too much.

Ernie

T

Tom Bergstrand

Thanks Ernie. The melons that seemed to stay unscathed were cantaloupes. We seem to have a bunch getting big. I looked closely today and saw STILL ne signs of aphids. My wife and I were talking earlier about using the seeds we had gleaned from the zucchini and giving another go BUT a bit more sparse. I will take into account what you said about pruning. Now for the question. Would it be good to plant the zucchini now or wait. Thanks.

E

ErnieCopp

Tom,
I do not know as i have never tried that. We have members that know a lot about gardening so one of them may see your quesiton.
But one of the thngs i enjoy the most is just trying to see what works. Frost will kill the plants, but why not give it a try?

Ernie

T

Tom Bergstrand

My brother in law told me about a brand called SAFER. They have a Tomato and Vegetable spray that is supposed to be totally organic. I'm really thinking about getting a 32 oz. spray bottle and replanting my zucchini and see what happens. It's supposed to be totally organic. Anyone have any experience with this?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I wouldn't try planting squash at this point in time as Kingman's summer temps are much like here right now (90 - 100 degrees)... You might hold off & try again in the September (I believe your 1st frost date is around November 12th).

I only grow it in the spring garden here & have never tried it myself in the fall. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say... Good luck!

E

ErnieCopp

Everyone needs to find their own comfort level as to how Organic to be. Personally, I use the regular garden chemicals mixed with some common sense, but Organics are like religion to some people, so there are many different viewpoints and opinions.

Ernie.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I agree Ernie & do the same. Some organic principles work & others are just hype... to each their own. Gardening is all about our individual successes/failures (learning as we go) & putting the best food we can on our tables.

T

Tom Bergstrand

Thank you for your answer. It shows how we need to make a few sacrifices to achieve our goal. The reason that I want to at least LEARN as much about the organic approach is that perhaps at some point the "middle of the road" chemicals will not be available and we must do with what we have. I have found a few of the "not so bad" treatments and will continue to research them. So far the SAFER brand seems to be pretty good. It is the soap approach with a couple of twists.

E

ErnieCopp

Pest control, at least where i have lived, is a very complex subject, and is highly influenced by the weather. On a hot dry year, both bugs and fungi are not as hard to control so everything seems to work well on them, but on a warm, damper year, nothing may seem to work, so we all think we have found a solution to a problem when we have jiust had some help from the weather. So, that is why i mix as much common sense in as possible. I have not found any miracle solutuons yet, as some people seem to believe they have. But i am still hoping.

Ernie