• Join Home Gardening Forum

blueberry failed to flower

M

Mr_Yan

I have a blueberry shrub that is in it's third year in the yard and is slightly larger than a 5 gallon bucket. Last year it flowered a little and had one berry I saw until something knocked it off. This year it didn't flower at all.

This bush is 2 or 3 meters away from a Concord grape vine(to the north of the blueberry) and a rhododendron (to the south). The grape has fruited nicely (and the peach fruited heavily about 10 meters away) so I don't question the year's weather much. The rhododendron has thrived for 7 years now so I don't suspect a lack of acidity - a few mature spruce near by. I did buy this a a bigbox store so maybe the cultivator isn't great for the area but I've forgotten the name.

Anyone good with blueberries?

R

Royiah

First off how many blueberry plants do you have? Blueberry's need to cross-pollinate in order to produce berry's.
You also need to make sure you have a male and female plant. (For obvious reasons.)
Another thing to check is to make sure your giving it enough water. (I don't need to pay attention to that since it rains a ton where I am. But you might need to do that.) Blueberry's love water and if you don't give them enough they wont grow berry's.
Have you ever mulched your plants? If not I recommend you do so and if you can use pine needles to make sure you plant is getting enough acidy. (just in case.)
Also in case you didn't know, Blueberry's don't produce unless their 2-3 years old.
Here's a link that explains a lot more then this if you want to look at it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7929425_fruit-blueberry-bush.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7714450_blueberries-not-bearing-fruit.html

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
I have over 40 acres of wild blueberries. They are extremely picky and as stated above you need both male and female plants. You also need a good concentration of bees to perform the pollination action. My berries are all growing in wet dense floating peat swamp if you stand in one spot long enough you start to sink. Blues love love love tanic water. Temperature also plays a major role in flowering and crop size. Last year we had an extremely early spring and had an amazing bumper crop of just over 3 tons. This year with spring not coming until June the plants flowered late and the berries are about 1/4 the size of last year.
PH also needs to be somewhat acidic wild plants will always thrive in tanic water, Potted plants need moss or peat on top of 2-3 inches of sand. Never water the plant itself water just the soil. Heavy rains for long periods will make the berries rot. Check soil content for moisture every 2 days. Never let it dry out completely.
Blueberries hate heat. Do not try and grow them too close to a wall or anything that will radiate heat long into the night.
When your plants do start to produce berries they will be small for a few years. However small berries are much more concentrated and have better flavor then the giant berries which you see in the grocery store.
Blueberry plants will do much better in clusters of 4-8-10 plants.

At the blueberry farms around here they usually dig trenches in the soil 18" deep, on the bottom they place a piece of plastic then a couple inches of sand then fill it up 24" with peat. They use drip hose for constant watering.