• Join Home Gardening Forum

blackeye susan vine

C

Canesisters

Does anyone know if the vine seeds like the 'regular' flower does? I wanted to put this in the middle of my iris bed and let it grow up a pine tree stump - but if it's going to reseed itself and take over..... maybe not.

M

Melissa

I have never seen this as a vine, What a neat plant. My mother has huge beds of black eyed susan, I can think of some wonderful places for a vine of it. I would love some more information on it.

N

Northernfox

I saw some vine flowers today at my greenhouse wow they a nice!! I am interested to learn how they work. I might put one on the outside of my garden fence next year. Got to help them bees out!

C

Canesisters

They are really pretty and a little unique looking. Almost like a cartoon flower. They were brand new to me - heard about them on The Easy Garden fourm. So far I've leaned: They don't like to get really dry (at least as new plantings). But they will perk up quickly after a good drink. The flowers close up at night - sort of. They grow quickly but seem to be slow to find things to climb on - may need a trellis. They are adorable and will be finding homes in several spots around my yard.
Haven't had it long enough to find out how it re-seeds or if the runners become a problem.

N

Northernfox

that might be a nice one to grow on my garden fence.. do you think it would do well going horizontal?

C

Canesisters

Worth a try. I picked it up at a hardware store as a hanging basket. Planted it at my gate post a few weeks ago. The mass at the base is doing well and it's reaching.. but has yet to really get a hold of the bottom rail of the fence.