1 Large onion, quartered, sliced about 1/4-inch thickness
1/3 Cup kosher salt
3 Cups vinegar
2 1/2 Cups sugar
1 Teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1 1/2 Tablespoons mustard seeds
1/4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional

Wash cucumbers and cut off the ends. Slice crosswise into 1/8-inch slices. Toss in a large bowl with the salt and onion slices; cover with about 4 to 6 cups of ice cubes. Cover and let stand for 4 hours or refrigerate overnight.

Wash & sterilize your jars thoroughly.

Prepare the boiling water bath. Add water to a large canner with rack and heat to about 180 degrees (the water should be high enough to be at least 1 inch above the filled jars). I usually fill it about halfway and I keep a kettle or saucepan of water boiling on another burner to add to the canner as needed. Now heat some water in a small saucepan & put the lids in the saucepan (bring almost to the boil, then lower the heat to keep the lids hot.

Drain the cucumber mixture in a large colander and rinse with cold water. In a large pot (nonreactive) over medium heat, combine the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Add the drained cucumber mixture and bring to a boil. With a slotted spoon, loosely pack the vegetables in prepared jars. Ladle the liquid into jars, dividing evenly among the jars. With a clean damp cloth, clean around the rims of the jars, then cover with 2-piece jar lids (a lid lifter comes in handy to get the flat lids out of the water or you could use tongs). Adjust the screw on rings firmly but do not over-tighten. Place filled jars in the boiling water bath, adding more hot water as needed to bring the water up to about 1 inch above the jars. Bring the water to a boil. Cover and continue boiling for 10 minutes. Lift the jars out of the water and place on a rack to cool.

Yields about 6 pints. Enjoy!!!

B_B.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Don't get any of the liquid on your counter tops or clothing... it stains something fierce. Don't ask how we know this.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Need you ask??? I got pictures of the bruises from my wife after she was done cleaning up the mess... ROFLOL!

R

Rolex

The best pickles are the Kosher Dills and second are the bread & butter. Sweet gherkins are compost.