• Join Home Gardening Forum

Any Clue what type of bush this is?

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
I was walking around my property and found these bushes with bright orange tiny clear berries on them. I have no idea what they may be. Looked all over and no one knows what they are. Any Ideas? Extreme Northern Minnesota

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I'm going to go out on a limb here (excuse the pun) & say it's Bella Bush Honeysuckle (Lonicera x bella) based on the untoothed, opposing leaves & the shape. It is an invasive species.

Species comparisons: Left: L. morrowii, Center: L. x bella, Right: L. tatarica

Attachments

• bush-honeysuckle.pdf
    583.1 KB · Views: 2

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Hmm i'm not sure, the berries are blaze orange with a clear skin, you can see the seed inside it. Honeysuckle produces more of a reddish berry. We have several types of bushes with red berries but nothing like this here bush. I mean you can see it from 100 yards away the berries are so bright in color.

The leaves on this plant almost have a rust hue to them as you can see in the close up pictures.

Update: Oh I think you were right looks to be a Lonicera tatarica. but what the heck is it doing in Minnesota?
It is supposed to be native to the west coast from cali to alaska lol

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Actually it is native to Asia & the berries transition from orange to red as the mature.

According to the USDA, you are smack-dab in the middle of the North American distribution:

Here is a state/county map (left click to enlarge).

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Someone Knows how to google!!!! lol thanks for the info.

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
it's just so strange I have no idea how the thing got out there it's 1000' off the hwy on private property. Supposedly they are not able to survive sub- 30f temps. Guess I will have to update the Wikipedia as we had several days of -40f or colder last winter.
Worlds first Frozen Death proof Honeysuckle lol

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Here is a trivia fact for Siberia:..

Oymyakon (OIM-yah-cone), Russia, a village of just under 500 residents in northeast Siberia, is widely considered the world's coldest permanently inhabited town.

On Feb. 6, 1933, an observer, there, measured a temperature of -89.8 degrees Fahrenheit! This is a full 10 degrees colder than the U.S. cold record of -79.8 degrees F at Prospect Creek, Alaska on Jan. 23, 1971. (Incidentally, the record coldest temperature measured on Earth was at the Russian South Pole research station of Vostok, Antarctica (-128.6 deg. F) on July 21, 1983.)

According to Weather Underground's Christopher Burt (Wunderblog), unofficial temperatures as cold as -108 degrees F have been measured in Oymyakon. Mr. Burt says there's no record of temperatures rising above zero degrees F between December 1 and March 1!

Even Alaska's coldest interior valleys may only suffer through temperatures in the -40s or colder for, say, a week or two (no minor task, of course) before there's a "warmer" break. No such luck in a Siberian winter!

I was in WI once in winter... 3 weeks during which the high was -27. It actually hurt to go outside to check my truck. I wasn't planning on staying there that long, but the cold blew out the seals on my transmission it took that long to get it towed & fixed...

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
LOL that's only 7 degrees colder than shorts weather lol. I've been out in as cold as -53f and you are right it hurts. In hurts to breathe, it hurts to move when you have 98lbs of clothing on and your eyelids and nostrils freeze closed. I live 10 miles from the coldest ever recorded temp in the lower 48 states -64f in 1996 brrrrrr. Officially they said it was -57f but the thermometer froze and broke at -57f so that's where they stopped it.

The difference between -20f and -50f is unbelievable, I have literally used a quart of oil as a hammer in temps that cold lol.

Wait why do I live up here? lol