RW_8.jpg

1 1/2 Cups of rolled wheat
1/4 Cup of honey
2 1/4 Cups of water
1/2 stick of butter
3 Cups of bread flour
2 Teaspoons salt
3 Teaspoons IDY

In a pyrex glass bowl, combine the wheat, honey & water. Microwave it on high for 3 minutes & then add the butter, stirring until it is melted/combined. Microwave it on high for an additional 1 1/2 minutes. Then remove it & set in aside to cool & absorb the rest of the liquid.

RW_1.jpg

RW_2.jpg

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, salt & yeast. When the wheat has sufficiently cooled, add it to the bowl of flour & mix it thoroughly.

RW_3.jpg

Knead the resulting dough for a few minutes until the dough forms a ball (if you need to add additional water, do so sparingly) & then let is rest for about 10 minutes for the flour to hydrate. Now knead the dough for a few more minutes & form it into a ball. Then place it into an lightly-oiled bowl to rise.

RW_4.jpg

In about 1 - 1 1/2 hours the dough will have doubled in size & is ready for its final degassing/shaping.

RW_5.jpg

Lightly dust the work surface with cornmeal & knead the dough flat (like you're making a pizza). To form the loaf, roll it towards you (like a jelly roll), then pinch closed the ends & the seam.

RW_6.jpg

Now dust it with cornmeal & let the resulting loaf rise for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours (the time depends on the weather).

RW_7.jpg

When it is almost ready to bake, preheat you oven to 425 degrees.

I like to top all my breads with sesame seeds... to do so, prepare an egg-wash by whisking together an egg & water (50-50) & then gently brushing a thin coat on the top of the uncooked loaf, followed by a sprinkling of sesame seed (this step is strictly optional). Do this just before you put the loaf in the oven.

When the oven is ready, put the loaf in. I bake this bread for approximately 24 minutes in our oven, but remember that each oven is different. If you thump on the bottom of the loaf & it sounds is hollow, the bread is done. When done, remove from the oven & allow to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!!!

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Man this looks so good. I really need to just buy a bread maker and be done with it. :D

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
LOL!!! You need to learn how to do it by hand, it's a lot quicker. A bread machine will not get you the crust that you're craving...