• Join Home Gardening Forum

A mess in my compost

B

Bishr

Hello, I'm making compost right now in a medium pot, due to lack of space..
Last night was heavely rainy, and my compost is on the building roof, so it got really soggy..
Today I moved it and turned it, there are lots of bugs and worms and flies..
This is the biggest bug, a worm that I think had come with almond waste..
Please help me with couple instructions or advice,
I have a lack on space and knowledge about plants, but I love gardening although I don't have a garden..
I attached another photo to show u it's not big
Thank u so much ☺3886

Attachments

• 400012400705_150821.jpg
    400012400705_150821.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr_Yan

That is probably a fly larva of some kind.

It sounds like hot composting is not working for you. It didn't work for me either.

Have you looked at vermi-composting? 5 or so years ago I switched to vermi-composting with worms. This doesn't make a traditional compost but a more concentrated casting. I had two types of compost worms red wigglers and European night crawlers. I say had because I gave them up a year ago when I moved across 3 states into a rental house. I will be replacing them with red wigglers this summer when we have a house and garden again.

Check out this website on composting with red wigglers.

If not vermi-composting have you looked at a compost tumbler / drum. I've seen them but don't know anyone who actually uses one. A former coworker of mine built one and found it was very much a batch process - fill it once and let it compost down for a few weeks before adding more.

B

Bishr

That is probably a fly larva of some kind.

It sounds like hot composting is not working for you. It didn't work for me either.

Have you looked at vermi-composting? 5 or so years ago I switched to vermi-composting with worms. This doesn't make a traditional compost but a more concentrated casting. I had two types of compost worms red wigglers and European night crawlers. I say had because I gave them up a year ago when I moved across 3 states into a rental house. I will be replacing them with red wigglers this summer when we have a house and garden again.

Check out this website on composting with red wigglers.

If not vermi-composting have you looked at a compost tumbler / drum. I've seen them but don't know anyone who actually uses one. A former coworker of mine built one and found it was very much a batch process - fill it once and let it compost down for a few weeks before adding more.
Oh Thanks for your reply!
Yai you know hot composting don't work for me because I can't make those huge piles that produce that heat.. I'm just a little composter
I've heard about vermi-composting.. but those worms you use are specific kinds, but I don't know where those worms came from.. so will they harm plants when I use the compost?
I've looked in some websites, maybe the larvaes will help me composting then just go away when I use the compost (The Best Possible scenario) :) Ha
and again, thank you so much for trying to help dude!

M

Mr_Yan

The worms will not harm the plants you're growing at all. The compost produced is perfectly fine to use in a veg garden, or lawn, or anything with plants. I would compost all my kitchen scraps this way then have enough to put about 1/2" of compost over all my garden bed and I would mix a trowel full into the hole when ever transplanting something like a tomato seedling in the spring.

Yes you'll have to source the red wigglers to start but after you do that population can survive indefinitely (unless you actually manage to kill them). You can buy them online and I've seen them at good garden shops (think locally owned not a big box) and there is a guy at my local farmer's market selling worms and vermi-compost.

There is a fly larva that will compost down waste - commonly named black soldier fly larvae. I have no experience with these. From what I have read they leave you with very little compost and a lot of grubby larva. These guys do have a big fan base in people wanting to turn scraps into high protein fish or chicken food though.

B

Bishr

The worms will not harm the plants you're growing at all. The compost produced is perfectly fine to use in a veg garden, or lawn, or anything with plants. I would compost all my kitchen scraps this way then have enough to put about 1/2" of compost over all my garden bed and I would mix a trowel full into the hole when ever transplanting something like a tomato seedling in the spring.

Yes you'll have to source the red wigglers to start but after you do that population can survive indefinitely (unless you actually manage to kill them). You can buy them online and I've seen them at good garden shops (think locally owned not a big box) and there is a guy at my local farmer's market selling worms and vermi-compost.

There is a fly larva that will compost down waste - commonly named black soldier fly larvae. I have no experience with these. From what I have read they leave you with very little compost and a lot of grubby larva. These guys do have a big fan base in people wanting to turn scraps into high protein fish or chicken food though.
Thank you very much..
Looks like every thing is fine with my compost, just needs to dry a little bit and it will be good.